A beautification project for The City of New Iberia also known as a Pocket Park. The story goes that in 1835, Frederick H. Duperier surveyed the land for The City of New Iberia. There was a plot on Saint Peter Street that was reserved for a church. In 1836, Duperier donated the plot to the board of directors authorized to construct the Saint Peter’s Catholic Church. But, he had one condition – he wanted to be able to see the church from his home at Mount Carmel. So an alley was left between Saint Peter and Main Streets, which became, of course, Church Alley.